Ingredients of Thai Sweet and Salty Fresh Mackerel Stew menu (Tom-Kem-Pla-Two)
- 15 fresh mackerel
- 1 tsp. sliced coriander root
- 8 pepper corns
- 1 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 4 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. cooking oil
- 3 ripe tamarinds
- 1 ten-inch length sugar cane
Preparation of Thai Sweet and Salty Fresh Mackerel Stew menu (Tom-Kem-Pla-Two)
- Wash mackerel, remove gills and intestines, slit off bony gill covers in both sides, cut off the head and tail, wash to remove all slime, and place the cut head in the belly of the fish.
- Peel sugar cane, split lengthwise into several pieces, and cut as long as the diameter of the pot. Flatten and line the bottom of the pot with sugar cane, the arrange the fish in layers on the cane. Cover fish with water and add salt, dark soy sauce, palm sugar, and tamarind.
- Heat strongly to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer.
- Pound coriander root, pepper, and garlic until ground and mixed thoroughly, fry in the oil until fragrant, and add to the pot. Taste and season to obtain a sweet and salty taste and continue simmering until the liquid permeates the fish fresh.
- Can be kept for several day. When serving , add sliced onion, chili and lemon juice.
- red snapper, climbing perch, or serpent head fish can also be used.