Ingredients for spice mixture of Thai Vegetable Soup in Thai style menu
- 13 pepper corns
- 1 tbsp. shrimp paste
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 12 shallots
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp or fish
- 4 tbsp. fish sauce
Other ingredients of Thai Vegetable Soup in Thai style menu
- 5 cups of one of the following
- sponge gourd, bottle-gourd, gord gourd, phak wan, or banana flower
- 5 stems of sweet basil
- 5 cups soup stock or water
Preparation of Thai Vegetable Soup in Thai style menu
- Place spice mixture ingredients in a mortar and pound until mixed thoroughly.
- Add spice mixture to soup stock in a pot and heat to boiling, stirring to prevent sticking. Do not cover the pot or allow to boil over.
- Wash the vegetables. If gourd is used, peel and cut into 1 1/2 inch strips. Other vegetables are separated into individual leaves or bracts.
- When the water boils, add fish sauce, or if this odor is offensive, salt may be substituted.
- Add vegetables and oil. When vegetables are done, taste and add fish sauce or salt as desired, then remove from heat.